Monday, February 20, 2012

The Sunday Evening Post

Rachel's Valentine's Day Party

 I had to race to the grocery store right before Rachel's party to get her cards.  I asked Rachel if she would like the butterfly ones.  She said, "No. I want the skullun ones."  She pointed to  hologram cards that had skeletons that changed into guitars with words printed on the cards saying, "You rock!"  I was dismayed, but I was also in a hurry.  Instead on using my skills of persuasion and redirection, I bought the rocker cards.  While Rachel passed out her cards I sheepishly explained the cards to the other moms saying that I didn't have time to persuade and I didn't want to fight. 

 I was puzzled and a little troubled with her choice until she was talking about it to Isaiah later on that day.  She told him, "I bought the skulluns playing violins!"  So, she thought the electric guitars were her lovely violins!  That made me feel much better.  When I got to thinking about it, skeletons aren't so weird for her either.  When your daddy is a doctor and is constantly studying at home, skeletons aren't representative of the dregs of humanity.  Rather, they are a fascinating part of each of us worth intense study. 

 After yet another  Sunday of Rachel refusing to stay in Nursery without her mother (at three years old), I decided it is time for me to try to teach her the skill of not being with her mom.  One way I did that was to take her to My Gym to try out at class.  She was terrified at first.
 





 But, eventually she loved it!

By the end she threw a fit when we had to leave. 
I would sign her up, but I found a less expensive way to accomplish the same goal.  I found a friend at church that is willing to teach gymnastics one day a week and I will teach preschool to the girls one day a week.  Maybe in Philly we will do a little class for her.

Isaiah's Class

 I took this picture of Isaiah with his class to give to the teacher for Teacher Appreciation Week.   We also had Isaiah's Valentine's Day party in his class. We did a rotation of games, crafts, and food.  I ran the food table.  I had each child take a turn to being in the hot seat, but we called it the heart seat.  They had a crown of hearts that we put on their head and we went around the table so that each child could say something that was wonderful about the child in the heart seat.  It has been fun this year to be the room mom.

Our high point this week was going to the Children's Museum.
 

 





Our other high point was that this week was Mark and my anniversary.  We have been married for 11 years!  Our low point was all of the messes that the kids made while I was trying to cook our special meal.  Here is one that William made.  He was so quiet behind me that I forgot about him.  He had gotten into the fridge, pulled down the container of beans, opened it, and began to happily eat them.  He loves beans. 

No comments: