Friday, October 5, 2012

How I Found Joy Today

I made rice and beans for dinner.  I think I am getting that recipe down to a science.  After the rice is cooked I toss in freshly chopped cilantro and the juice of a lime.  I cook the black beans with 5 slices of jalepeno from a jar, a spoonful of garlic, 3 cubes of beef bullion, and about 1/4 tsp of oregano, chili powder, and cumin.  I salt it to taste and squeeze a little lime at the end.  My new addition this week was so fun.  I served it in a bowl with chips around the outside and it ended up looking like a sunflower.  The chips looked like the petals and the beans looked like the center of the flower.  The kids loved it.

I remembered a funny story that Mark told me about the hospital.  Mark was commenting to his attending physician about the interesting names of the patients in Philadelphia.  The attending said, "You are going to see a lot of interesting names here.  One time I met a girl named Usnavy. (Pronounced Us-nah-vee) I asked the parents how they thought of their daughter's name.  They told me that they saw a ship that had the letters U-S-N-A-V-Y one the side.  The decided that they liked the unique name and used it for their daughter.

No comments: