Sunday, August 21, 2011

Extraordinary Determination

Father and son conquered Mt. Timpanogos

I got to experience it all vicariously. The day before the hike Master I kept saying, "I can't believe I get to do this hike!" Our son woke us both up at 4 am saying he was ready to go. I was on pins and needles all day hoping that they would make it to the top. I was scared that one of them would slip or get hurt, so I called them all day long. I called every five minutes when they were trying to make it to the top. Master I was discouraged and didn't want to go any further. He told his dad that 99% of him wanted to quit, but only 1% of him wanted to finish. He was only 1/4 of a mile away. I told him that I would pay him 20 dollars if he would finish. That motivated him to keep going. I was elated when he made it to the top. I was even happier when he came home and I got to see his exhaustion and his glowing happiness. They left befor 5 am and got home after 10 pm. He fell asleep on the couch on the way upstairs. I had to wake him up to get him in bed. But, once I woke him up you couldn't wipe the smile off of his face. He didn't want to go to bed because he wanted to talk about it. He said, "I can't believe I did it! It was harder than 10 Mt. Olympus hikes." The seventeen mile seven year old.

All of this just makes me want to hike every trail in Northern America. Master I feels the same way. I asked him what one he wanted to do next. "Maybe Half Dome," he said.







1 comment:

Kristen Crockett said...

So amazing! I would love to hear what the other hikers thought when they saw a little kid up on top of that mountain with them!