Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Turned 35 and the Birthdays Just Get Better!


Grandma's special pancakes for my 35th birthday.

I believe every birthday should have:
1. a wrapped present


2. a birthday cake with candles and the singing of the birthday song


3. hopefully some special activity done together


4. decorations


I think that this must have been my happiest birthday yet. It was even more fun that the elaborate celebrations my parents gave me growing up. My family knew how to party. I think what made this particular birthday so special was to give this fun day to my kids. I wasn't waiting for anyone to throw a party for me because I was visiting grandparents while my husband was working long hours.

What made my day specail was to feel love for and from my kids. I think the love that I felt for my children was because most of what I did to celebrate was to give them an opportunity to give their love to me. Like taking them to the dollar store so they could buy me a present. The day was constant fun for them and they kept wanting to make it special for me. They loved baking the cake with me and decorating it. I bought decorations at the dollar store so that my son could decorate the house with Grandma. When little Miss R woke up and saw the decorations she gasped with delight and said, "Mommy! It's your birthday!" Unlike birthdays growing up, there was no material present that I longed for. But there was something that I did want. It was more of a feeling . And I got it. To love and to be loved, what could be better than this?

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Oh, Happy Birthday dear friend! My birthdays keep getting better too, children make everything special.