Saturday, August 29, 2015

Our Questions and Beliefs That We Put on our Shelves


Camilla Kimball once said,  “I’ve always had an inquiring mind. I’m not satisfied just to accept things. I like to follow through and study things out. I learned early to put aside those gospel questions that I couldn’t answer. I had a shelf of things I didn’t understand, but as I’ve grown older and studied and prayed and thought about each problem, one by one I’ve been able to better understand them.”
She twinkles, “I still have some questions on that shelf, but I’ve come to understand so many other things in my life that I’m willing to bide my time for the rest of the answers.” (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1975/10/camilla-kimball-lady-of-constant-learning?lang=eng)
My brother in law once pointed out to me that he liked to use that shelf analogy for the 9th article of faith.

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God."


There are three things in that verse that we believe in.  Jared likes to think of them as three shelves in our mind. 


The first shelf is filled with our belief in all that God has revealed.  Imagine it, a shelf lined with these pots of testimony.  Each canister is labeled with a truth that you have come to have a testimony of--the atonement, the truth of The Book of Mormon, the goodness of God and His great love for us as our Father.


Upon that shelf is balanced another shelf.  That shelf is full of containers that represent belief in all that He does now reveal. That shelf is also full, but it is full with all that God is revealing to you today. There is a container with the the truths that you learned in your scripture study that morning, another for the spirit that you felt for when you explained your believes with your friend not of your faith.  There also canisters filled with the peace that you felt when you repented today, the assurance of truths that you pondered as you were going about the business of your life, and another for the growing testimony that came as a result of chipping away at your responsibilities from Church, and reaching out in love and service to your fellowman.  


  And upon that second shelf is balanced the third shelf.  It is filled with containers representing questions that we have about those things that God will yet reveal.  That can be mysteries of the Kingdom of God, or things that can just be mysteries to us, while those around us seem to understand.  It is a part of life to have this shelf.  It is not wrong or bad.


Problems arise when the first and second shelves are sparse,  while we spend our time and efforts with what is on the third shelf.  Excessive weight or energy spent on this shelf can topple all three shelves.  Sometimes when we are in this state we are more desirous to follow the Facebook buzz about  current religious issues rather than studying General Conference.  We might be more interested in other's writings and opinions about the prophets, rather than reading the words of the prophets themselves. We pour over comments left on internet pages, but no longer pour over our scriptures. Our problem isn't that we don't have answers, it is that we don't have faith.


I don't think answers to Gospel questions don't  come in the scenario I described.  I have had times when I had  questions that seemed to halt my spiritual progress. Sometimes those questions have been doctrinal and other times they have just been confusion about why God would allow me to go through a particularly difficult experience.  Answers have seemed to come to me as I have done the following: 


 1. Been honest about the fact that I have a question. 
2. Asked my question to God. 
3. Spent some time studying and thinking about it. 
4. Spent the majority of my time doing the things that God has asked me to do.  Serve in my family, in my church callings, and to reach out in love to those around me.

We can not let the presence of our Gospel questions hijack all of the doctrine we can be learning, and the rich spiritual experiences we can be having. I think the bottom line is that every day we do all that we can to feel the Holy Ghost that day.  While some of that time is spent alone in private study and contemplation, much of it is spent as we do the work of our day.  The Lord taught the doctrine that if we lose our life, then we would find it (Matthew 10:39).  God seems to be more willing, or maybe more able to give us or spiritual answers when our lives are filled with service.  The answers come gently,  distilling upon our souls as gently and imperceptibly as  the dews from heaven.  And the best news is that the process was lovely.  It was filled with giving love to others, lifting those around us, filling the Spirit in our scripture study, and privately promising to God our faith and trust in Him.  


From Elder Cook's Oct. 2012 conference address, "Can Ye Feel So Now?"

"In one of the most profound verses in all of scripture, Alma proclaims, 'If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?'
It is not surprising that some in the Church believe they can’t answer Alma’s question with a resounding yes. They do not 'feel so now.' They feel they are in a spiritual drought. Others are angry, hurt, or disillusioned. If these descriptions apply to you,7 it is important to evaluate why you cannot “feel so now.”
Many who are in a spiritual drought and lack commitment have not necessarily been involved in major sins or transgressions, but they have made unwise choices. Some are casual in their observance of sacred covenants. Others spend most of their time giving first-class devotion to lesser causes. Some allow intense cultural or political views to weaken their allegiance to the gospel of Jesus Christ. Some have immersed themselves in Internet materials that magnify, exaggerate, and, in some cases, invent shortcomings of early Church leaders. Then they draw incorrect conclusions that can affect testimony. Any who have made these choices can repent and be spiritually renewed.
Immersion in the scriptures is essential for spiritual nourishment.8 The word of God inspires commitment and acts as a healing balm for hurt feelings, anger, or disillusionment.9 When our commitment is diminished for any reason, part of the solution is repentance.10"


1 comment:

Sherrie said...

I love this! I loved teaching the 9th A of F this last month. Revelation is still a tricky topic for me. Some people receive tons of revelation in loud vibrant ways, (lots of examples in the scriptures) when for me it has always been quiet and subtle, and often after the fact. I didn't know, for instance, that I was following the promptings of the Holy Ghost when I texted my sister-in-law, or when I took bread over to my neighbor, (I still use your recipe btw) or when I offered to take in some kids for the weekend so my friend could have an overnight date with her husband. These people insist that is was in direct answer to prayer. I didn't know. I had no idea I was receiving revelation, or being given direction. I do know that I strive to live worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost though. The scriptures prove to be the balm you write of, and also a great source of confusion at times. I especially find it troubling when someone receives revelation to break a commandment. Super confusing for me.

The fact that we are able to repent is my favorite thing ever. I make mistakes daily and suffer from pride. My daily family habits are intact, however my personal study is definitely lacking. I'm grateful for the atonement and that I can start fresh every week.