Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Grouse Grind

 We had a wonderful hike this weekend. We were surprised at how steep the trail was. The trail we took was called the grouse grind. The trail is broken up into four sections and we told the kids that we could take a water break every quarter of the hike. The first section of the hike I resumed her typical role that I play on a family hike. I interact with the kids, try to distract them from what they’re doing, try to add to 10 by playing games, and try to encourage them and how amazing I think that they are.   That was short lived  on this hike.    I quickly learned that I did not have the energy to talk with a concentration to be able to help drag other people along. I had only one task that I could accomplish, I need to drag myself up that mountain   It was a busy trail with many people going up. The entire way is stairs because it is so steep. It is the equivalent of going up to hundred story building.  By the end of the hike I was so exhausted I felt like I was going to throw up. I knew, I sensed, I needed to lay down. It’s like these primal instincts take over and you know what it will take for your body to survive. I needed water and I needed to lay down somewhere. I did both of those things. I was surprised to see I was drenched in sweat.  I find it deeply satisfying to push my body that hard and I am so grateful for the opportunity. I could have never done this hike without work. Never have I participated so little with the children on a hike. Never when I push myself that is in the heart on my own, let alone with the kids    I recovered after about 30 minutes. I cannot believe how beautiful British Columbia is. I am going to absolutely love this year    I am relying so heavily upon the blessings that Dad H made to the kids before we left. I think to myself as Rachel is climbing that mountain that I am being her understand and know that she is stronger than she realizes. When I said is afraid to go to school full of Asians in a different culture, I remind myself that this will prepare him for his future life work. And when I look at while I am enjoying nature, I am filled with joy because I know that this is what will comfort him and help him to be happy and these years.

No comments: