Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy New Year's





I wish that I would have done a more fun dinner for New Year's Eve. Em did a bonfire with foil-wrapped dinners. Kristen did cheese fondue and a chocolate fountain for dessert. I did three soups and wheat bread. Next year I am going to make a more fun party type food. But, we did do our tradition of telling each other what we wished for them in the coming year. I love this tradition. It is usually very sentimental, but this year my dad added a comical flair. It was making everyone laugh. Isaiah, who is usually so sincere, insightful, and heart-felt in his wishes for everyone, was trying to make jokes instead. By the end he left the room discouraged wanting to talk to me. He told me that he wanted to be funny and make jokes like everyone, but didn't know what to say. I remember having that experience again and again as #5 of 10 in a family of very funny people. I couldn't keep up, I was just too young. Sometimes it made me sad that I didn't have anything to contribute, but eventually I got used to basking in reflected glory and enjoying it.

Our Wishes for Mark

Dad said, “That global would cause some major climate change so that Philadelphia has San Diego weather. That climate change causes the city to prosper, so it secedes from the Union and becomes its own country without any debt. The Church prospers and there are way too many members for callings. Frank (our maintenance man in our on-campus housing) permanently resides in Philadelphia to come to Mark‘s beckon call with any home repairs. Grandpa Stoddard would become senile and he would forget about buying extra treats and toys. That the U Penn hospital would appoint Mark to make sure that no unnecessary medical procedures take place. That redevelopment would allow 15 acres to become available for Mandy to live in the country and not having a commute.”

Mom said, “That he has a good year and likes what he is doing and learns good things

Luke said, “That the next president outlaws all holidays.”

Isaiah said, “That he would eat more pop tarts, cheesecake and pumpkin logs.”

Matt said, “That the career you take will meet your financial needs.”

Mandy said, “I hope that next year’s education is everything that you have always longed for educationally and that you will be able to find joy in family life and be able to do well in your program.”

Our Wishes for Grandma Jean
Dad said, “Oh the gift the giver givest, to see ourselves as others see us.”

Mark said, “That you can look at all the things you have done in life, and get satisfaction from them.”

Mandy said, “That we can enjoy many spaghetti dinners with meatballs. That we can live close so you can play with Rachel, and that we can have many Lake Tahoe times. That you will have a peaceful heart. And, that we can go to arches together.”

Matt said, “I wish that you can continue to understand how much we appreciate you. That we can mutually increase our love.”

Luke said, “The happiest and most joyful year of your life, whatever that means for you.”

Isaiah said, “That you will be happy”


Our Wishes for Grandpa Stoddard
Mom said, “I wish that you get to see everyone that you want to see. I wish that we can keep doing things together.”

Mark said, “I wish that you will continue to take joy and have fun with you grandkids, within reason.”

Mandy said, “That you always may be able to spoil us. Lake Tahoe and arches.”

Matt said, “I wish that, if it happens, that the girl that I meet and love, will meet you and appreciate and love you for who you are, and your wise cracking.”

Luke said, “I wish that you can see and appreciate that you are the greatest example of strength, in the church and in life in general.”

Isaiah said, “I want to start eating ice cream. And that you will fall asleep before midnight”

Our Wishes for Isaiah
Dad said, “That every person that you meet in Philly can very quickly see you like I see you.”

Mom said, “That you can find a good piano teacher in Philly.”

Mark said, “That you can go on more hikes and climb more mountains. That you can have more fun playing basketball.”

Luke said, “That basketball becomes your greatest love after God and family.”

Matt said, “After your baptized that you continue to keep your covenants with Heavenly Father. And that you can feel the Holy Ghost more in your life.”

Mandy said, “That you will always love me as you very best friend, and that you will love the Holy Ghost as your second best friend, behind me. J


Our Wishes for Luke
Dad said, “That you are very soon helping with the grandchild race with the Halverson’s.”

Mom said, “I wish you another great school semester at BYU. I wish that you and Matt will continue to live together. “

Mark said, “That you will make progress figuring out your direction with a major. And that you will continue to enjoy teaching at the MTC.

Mandy said, “I wish that there will soon be a dance floor filled with grandchildren and much celebration, and you will quickly have children.”

Matt said, “My wish is that you at least have a girlfriend before the year ends.”

Isaiah said, “Same as Mark’s”

Our Wishes for Matt
Dad said, “I wish that you always see yourself as an ‘A’ person. And that nothing changes you and you stay the person you are.”

Mom said, “I hope that you can get into BYU like you want to and that you can have a great dating life, and that you have great friends here in Utah.”

Mark said, “I wish that you can keep enjoying school and follow your road that you are starting on and that you can find success in your education.”

Mandy said, “I hope that I can cook with you many more times. I wish that you will fall into some money and come to Disneyland with me and the kids. And that you will see the light with Michelle.

Luke said, “I hope that you can keep getting good grades and that you can completely understands who you are, and loves you for it.”

Isaiah said, “Same as Luke and Mark;s”

Our Wishes for Mandy

Isaiah said, “That we spend lots of time together.”

Mark said, “That you wont hate Philly has much as you could hate Philly. That William will stop screaming. That you will meet new friends.

Matt said, “That while you are in Philly your cooking and baking will bring happiness to those you meet.”

Dad said, “That you find a Philly school system that makes you so happy.”

Mom said, “ That you don’t like Philly enough so that you will consider California.”

Luke said, “That you can convince Mark to have more children.”

Our wishes for William
Mark said, “That he will come to terms with the fact that he can not always be held. Also, that he will decrease his drooling.”

Dad said, “That he continues to gain weight with a wider variety of foods.”

Mom said, “That he will have a decrease in allergies.”

Matt said, “I wish that as he goes into the transition that as he transitions to Philly, that he will continue to grow strong.”

Mandy, “I wish that William will have a lot of time to play with me and that he can feel lots of love from.”

Luke said, “That he will not have any allergic reactions.”

Isaiah said, “I wish he would stop falling down, and stop eating my legos.”

Our wishes for Rachel
Mark said, “That even with me as her dad, she can remain cheerful and happy go lucky.”

Dad said, “Heavenly time at Lake Tahoe.”

Mom said, “I hope that she gets to see Tahoe soon, and that she gets to get more hats.”

Matt said, “That she will continue to realize how special she is, and that she doesn’t let it get to her head.”

Mandy, “That she can have a lot of time to be with me and play with me. That she can be cherished by me.”

Luke said, “That she can keep her accent.”

Isaiah said, “That she wont spank mom anymore. And, that she will learn how to play piano.”

1 comment:

Annie said...

Good good good for you for writing this all down for all of us to enjoy! And can your wish for Rachie be your wish for me, too: that you can have a lot of time to be with me and play with ME? We both need that. :)

And my favorite responses are Mark's-- he makes me laugh. I loved what you said about being the 5 child in a family of 10 funny people just trying to get in on the comedy. I love picturing in my mind little Allen just wanting his funny bone to be heard and struggling to get a word in! Luckily for me, I think I married one of the funniest people on the planet! Loved the post!