Thursday, October 3, 2013

My Moments of the Day with Da Sweetest Darling

In her prayers tonight she said, "Please bless me to have my peaceful time and for no one to get near me during my peaceful time."

She loves all that is cozy.  She flopped on her bed tonight and said, "I love bedtime!"

I already said that she doesn't seem to like competitive sports.  But, she loves swimming, playing at the park, dancing, and hiking.  When we are in the hiking trails around Swarthmore College she says, "These are my peaceful mountains, like my peaceful beach."

She is very feminine.  She loves to get dressed up and wants to wear a dress everyday.  Not just a dress, but a "spin dress."  It has  to have enough material to twirl when she spins.

She is very good at playing by herself or playing with Twister.  She loves to make him laugh and he worships her for this.  This is one of the reasons I don't send her to preschool.  It breaks his heart to have me drop her off somewhere and have him not be able to go.  I feel like I can teach her all that she needs to know and provide social experiences for her.  I want to be with her and I want Twister to be with her as much as we can.

She is very imaginative and sometimes this can create problems with telling the truth. Mostly I have found her imagination endearing and the foggy lines between reality and falsehood a manifestation of that.   Recently I have tried to take this more seriously and teach her not to lie, especially when it involves lying to me about something she shouldn't have done.  I am not sure if this is too harsh but I have told her, "You are a good girl, but if you lie it will destroy you and turn you bad."  I am sure that her grandmothers will cringe when they read that, but I worry that I need to warn her and be firm now. Anyway, she was quite troubled by that explanation.  She yelled at me, "NO one can destroy or take my love!"  I thought it was so profound that she chose the word love to express her goodness.  How true.

Today I was trying to get her to clean up.  There were food toys all over the ground.  Pick up these toys right now." I said firmly.  She responded by flicking her finger in the air and looked at me with a little defiance.  And then she unexplicably softened and gently said to me, "Don't worry Mom, I am just doing imaginary flicks to you."

No comments: