Sunday, May 8, 2011

William is Blessed




-William was given his name to remind him of his premortal and mortal character
-William-Courage and desire to do what is right in the face of persecution. A Disciple
-Peter-An unwavering testimony of Jesus after his conversion
-Halverson-remember the strength of your ancestors and look upon their weaknesses with mercy.
-Joy in making good decisions and in family
-Feel the love and support of family past and present

Here are some of my thoughts on what it will be like to raise William:

I have wondered what it will be like to raise William. Will it feel easy and natural? Or will I be humbled to my knees in repentence becasue I simply don't know what to do or I have lost my temper yet again? Whoever William Peter ends up being, I am willing to give him all that I am and I am willing to try to become much better to raise him to who God expects him to be. One impression that I have had is that it takes time for us to become what God intends for us to become. That is why I love the name Peter. Peter was a strong and powerful and important person before he ever came to Earth. On Earth he became an apostle of the Lord and President of the Church. After his life of Earth his mission continued in the Restoration. But, the New Testament offers a view of a real person that wasn't perfect. I love Peter. I hope that everytime that I use my son's name it will be a gentle reminder to me that conversion and becoming take time even when we are great or have great missions to perform.

In fact, that is the common thread I see in all of the Williams that our William is named after. They were all great men who were changed by conversion and after their conversion they did courageous things. William Rollo was baptized in Scotland. This took courage because he was a 40 year old father of a big family. His conversion meant coming to America, crossing the plains, and setting up a homestead in Southern Utah. William Hyde's history is Church history. Because of his faith and conversion he was able to faithfully live the stroy of our Church. William Brewster and William Bradford's faith led them to leave Europe in search of a world where they could worship their God and live after the dictates of their own conscience. William Wilberforce had a conversion that made him give his life to stopping the slave trade. William Tyndale gave his life to translating the Bible into English. This men did great things only after they had great faith and a great conversion. They were strong characters.

1 comment:

The Randalls said...

Mandy, I'm so glad you have a blog! I am not a consistent blogger or reader, but I'm so glad I'll be able to check in once in a while and see pictures and what's new. What a beautiful family and new little baby! That's neat that his name has so much meaning for you all. How fun to go to Arches again. And I can't believe how old Rachel looks--and she looks JUST like you! I love the thing she said about her beautiful home. It is. Thanks for sharing.