Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pionner White Bread Recipe or ...... Jalepeno Cheddar Bread


(Note: these aren't my loaves because my camera is broken)

Pioneer White Bread
4 C Warm water
2 T yeast
5 C flour
3/4 C sugar

Mix ingredients in a Bosch until smooth (1 minute). Let rest until doubled in size or until to the top of the bosch (1 hour). Add:

2 T sea salt
5 C flour (or enough until the sides of the Bosch kneed clean)

Let knead for 5 minutes. Shape into 4 loaves or 12 mini loaves. Let loaves raise until doubled in size. Mini loaves bake at 325 for 30 minutes. This makes exquisite french toast--thick and chewy slices.

Jalepeno Cheddar Bread
I like to take half of the dough (2 loaves) and mix in after the dough is ready to be shaped into loaves:

2 C cheddar cheese cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 C canned jalepenos

I shape these into 6 round loaves and put on a cookie sheet. I brush egg on the crust and sprinkle grated cheese (optional!). I let the loaves double in size and bake on a cookie sheet at 325 for 30 minutes.

I bake a lot of bread because Mark takes a mini loaf of bread, cheese sticks, and a piece of fruit everyday for lunch.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Can we please have one bread making lesson when I come to visit? This is not a want but a need.

Kristen Crockett said...

I'm not so sure the pioneers were into Jalapeno Cheddar... Maybe they should have been! Cut down some of those 4-hour sermons!