Sunday, November 6, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread

I am recording this recipe because people have been asking me for it and because I want my children to have it. I made it myself through trial and error. I was forced to change my wheat bread recipe because I cannot use dried milk or eggs because of my son's allergies. My family loaves it. We prefer it toasted with honey or honey butter on top. Yum, yum.

Sponge
5 Cups Warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast
3/4 Cup Honey
5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour

Make a sponge by mixing above ingredients in Bosch for 1 minute or until ingredients are incorporated.
It will look like this


Let rest until the mixture reaches close to top. Apx. 1 hour. It should look like this:



Mix in
5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tablespoons of your best tasting sea salt

Knead mixture and add more flour towards the end if needed to make the mixture clear the sides of the Bosch. Mixture will be sticky to the touch, but it will clean the sides of the mixer.



Shape into loaves. This yields 4 normal loaves, but lately I have been doing 12 mini loaves instead. I just do 6 per cookie sheet. I form the ball by pushing the dough through a hole in my hand.




Let rise until doubled in size. This takes at least 1 hour.



Bake a 350 for 15 minutes if you are going to do the mini loaves on cookie sheets

No comments: